Friday, May 6, 2011

May 6

It was thoughts of my friend Kathy which convinced me to get out of bed this morning.  I'd woken up on my own long before the alarm clock even thought about blaring, and I was thinking how cozy and bound by inertia I was.  And then thoughts of Kathy, the tracker of my 229 pound goal, crept into my head.

I could devote a good paragraph or two to Kathy's wonderfulness, and she'd chortle and crow and make everyone around her smile.  But since I know the previous sentence already did the trick, I'll leave well enough alone.

So, knowing that I owe Kathy a few more pounds in order to reach 229, I decided I'd better get to the gym, cozy or not.  If I don't hit that 229 mark soon, she's likely to put me in her car and drive me to the gym herself!  If you'd ever had the pleasure of being Kathy's passenger, say when you were undergoing cancer treatment to which she drove you daily, and she distracted you so much with laughter that you both had tears of mirth in your eyes, and that she would drive very safely but, umm… safely, you'd also decide it in your best interest to get to the gym under your own power. 

At the gym "Mr. Brownstone" was my anthem of choice: "I used to do a little, but a little wouldn't do it, so the little got more and more; I just keep trying to get a little better, a little better than before."  That's what I did, on the recumbent bike of all things! 

I'm proud to report my first accomplishments of the day:

·         Within the same time period and at a higher intensity, I blew away my previous best.

·         While biking, I thought about some people in my life who by example are reminding me of why I'm doing what I'm doing.

·         I created a Karin's Commandment today: "I shall not buy candy for myself."

·         I will make mid-week the starting point of my food tracking.

And, perhaps most impressive: I had sweat pouring down my head!

~Karin


 
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment