Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pizza & brownies & chai, oh my!

I’ll be honest: it’s not easy to think about weight loss while knowing that in the not too distant future a surgeon will take apart my ear, clean it up, and put it back together again.  Rather like a mechanic, except that unlike a car which has extra pipes and things to get banged up in the process, I have more delicate things like facial nerves.

Part of me would very much like to curl up on the couch under a blanket and zone out in front of the TV, with a steady supply of comfort food magically appearing within fingertip reach.  Think of it: warm and snuggly, a chick flick on, pizza & fudgy brownies with chocolate chips, chai – both iced and warm – to drink.  Talk about safety and comfort.

And a complete lack of health.  Really now.  Forget weight loss, think health.

In order for my body to heal up good and proper so that I can do all the things I want to do (new clothes, faster triathlon), my body needs to be strong.  It needs actual fuel.

So, tempting as it is to give in to skip my workout, I’ll go.  Soon enough my body will be on forced sabbatical, with its primary workout being healing.  I’m already practicing lowering my calorie intake for the couch potato days ahead.

I don’t want to work out today.  Then again, I didn’t particularly want to last night either, but I exercised anyway.  And I improved my mood and got all sweaty and got just a little stronger.  I remember grinning like a fool on the arc trainer and feeling proud.

And the endorphins and memories of a good workout will sustain me through today's Battle of Comfort Food.  They’ve done so before and will do so again.  It’s up to me to engage them.

~Karin

PS – If anyone from the Cleveland Clinic, Lake Health, University Hospital, or anywhere is reading this: Might I suggest that you create a program to help people prepare emotionally and physically for surgery?  And hire me as your consultant and innovator, or at least send a royalties check.

No comments:

Post a Comment