Thursday, October 27, 2011

Exercise Hangover

Boy, am I gonna be sore tomorrow.  Tonight's was the best workout I've had the pleasure of in a long time.  I drove toward my west side gym (younger crowd than my early morning east side gym) in the setting sun with some new music to listen to (including Shonlock's "Hello"), found a free arc trainer, and got to it.

90 seconds in, my quads asked just what did I think I was doing.  13 minutes in, the couch potato in me was whining to stop at 15.  And I distracted myself like crazy to keep going because I had decided that come hell or high water, I wasn't quitting till the clock ran out.  I closed my eyes and imagined pedaling in a tri; I glanced at the TV screen and couldn't solve a single puzzle on Wheel of Fortune; and I concentrated on good form and using a whole bunch of muscles.

I really, really needed a good hard workout which left my clothes sticking to me.  I've been feeling like a polar bear at the zoo, pacing back and forth out of boredom.  I miss my trainers like crazy, the way they'd work me till I felt like a pile of overcooked noodles.  I never thought I'd say it, but I even miss those push-ups on an inverted bosu ball.

I'm so thankful for tonight's workout: for the frame of mind, that the equipment I wanted was available, for knowing how to use the equipment.  I felt so good that after the arc trainer I did some leg presses (out of deference to my surgeon, I didn't press 400).  I worked so hard that I've got my post-workout freeze going on (I'm wrapped up in my coat while I type).

Next time I see my surgeon, I'm going to put on my weightlifting gloves, drop to my knees, and beg him to let me start lifting again.  But first I have to get over the pain that awaits me tomorrow morning.  It's so worth it.

~Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment