Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Springing Back to Life

If I could put a bumper sticker on my bicycle, it'd read something like this:  "Want to stick it to the gas companies who are bleeding us dry while they feed off that blood?  Ride a bicycle whenever possible.  And always wear a helmet, even if you feel silly, because it sets a good example for little ones.  And try to make sure your bike and helmet are American-made, or at least purchased from a local bicycle shop rather than a big box store." 

This is why I don't write bumper stickers.

It's spring, and I weigh more than I did last fall (or last spring for that matter!).  I've distracted myself with reading and learning new skills and undertaking some volunteer projects and eating whatever, wherever, whenever.

The good news is that I have a 3-legged dog who needs exercise, and a bike which is way less stinky and way more fun than a car.  So at least I've been propelling myself once in a while.  But I haven't *sigh* exercised (dripping with "Do I have to?"). 

If it weren't for Dear Laura tapping me on the shoulder today, I might have continued fattening myself up while spreading myself too thin.

If this blog weren't named after the contest from which it originated, it'd be called something like "Balancing Karin."  That's what I need to work on.  Balance.  It keeps me up and going on my bike, it keeps my three-legged dog from tipping over, and it's the key to me being healthy in mind, body, and spirit.

1 comment:

  1. I started riding daily again once I got my folding bike. It was really nice to be able to choose how long I wanted to ride for, and I never felt like I was going to be stranded on a long trip. It really allowed me to ease back into it.

    ReplyDelete