Friday, February 11, 2011

February 11: Can You Spot the Differences?

   I constantly keep in mind that while sixteen of us were selected as contestants in Lighten Up, several hundred people out there wanted this opportunity, too.  This knowledge keeps me on the straight and narrow: for me to squander this opportunity would be an insult to the other applicants.  So, how is my life different as a Lighten Up contestant?

·          There have been several days when, were it not for Lighten Up, I might have given in to the temptation to stay in my warm bed rather than go to the Y.

·         Because of Lighten Up, I consistently spend some time with my thoughts in order to keep my unspoken promise to write every day.  Without Lighten Up, I'd neglect my journal and lose focus on my weight loss goal.  I know. It's happened before.

·         Lighten Up has brought me closer to a number of people in my life: people who have reached out to me and people who have let me reach out to them. 

·         Thanks to Lighten Up, I am more consistent in my meal planning.

·         I'm learning to set boundaries not just between me and other people, but between me and unhealthy habits.

·         When I wrote that last one, I surprised myself by thinking "I don't have the constant barrage of negative thoughts."  When doubt begins to creep in during exercise, I've got a stronger voice cheering me on.  When food is calling to not-hungry-me, I actually speak aloud "I'm not hungry" and walk away.

·         Before Lighten Up I'd read a wide variety of fiction books.  For the past few weeks I've read almost exclusively nonfiction books, and I've learned from the authors' experiences.

  Without Lighten Up, I probably would continue on my cyclical levels of focus.  But now, knowing that (a.) my weight will be published in the paper each month and (b) I've been given a rare opportunity, I am determined to keep my lose-weight, get-healthy goal on the front burner.  I guess Lighten Up has given me the permission (forced me into) not letting myself be a victim.  With or without Lighten Up, I have the most supportive husband and kids I could ask for and I have a mind-bogglingly loving support system.  They've always wanted what's best for me, and now my mind has given me permission to not only want what's best for me, but to go get it.

  Lighten Up: So far, so good.

~Karin

 

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! I'll say it a million times........ this contest is the best thing that can happen to someone! Take every advantage of it that you can!

    ReplyDelete