Friday, March 18, 2011

March 18: I'm a Gladiator!

                As a public service, I closed the blinds on our windows a little while ago in anticipation of trying the American Gladiators Ultimate Workout.  No need to subjec the neighbors to what I'd be doing to my body (they might bust a gut laughing).  I'd checked the DVD out from the library a couple weeks ago, but been a little reluctant to try it.  I mean have you seen what they look like and what they're capable of doing? 

            Since I did a full body weights workout yesterday, I decided to skip the strength sections and only did the cardio portion of the Gladiators workout.  It started out deceptively easy, all the gladiators in costume looking kind of awkward leading an exercise class.  Next thing I knew, I was on the floor doing mountain climbers!  I haven't done those since grade school, and with good reason.  With a bad back and a bad knee, what kind of stupid would I have to be to try mountain climbers at my age?  But I tried 'em and I did 'em.  I sweated through several sets of the suckers (and they might just have the potential to be fun).  And just a few weeks ago I stunk out loud at jumping jacks, but I did 'em just right today.  My knee held strong!  Or rather, the muscles I've been strengthening around my knee held strong.

                It was a pretty good workout, fun & silly, too.  But it wasn't long enough.  So after this brief writing pause, it's time to pop Bob & Jillian's workout into the player and sweat some more.  No star sticker for me today since another poor night's sleep left me too wiped out for an early morning workout.  But just because I usually like to work out in the morning doesn't mean I'm off the hook for a workout.  We make time for what's important to us.  Getting myself into shape is important and now's my chance.

~Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment