Wednesday, March 30, 2011

March 30: In defense of my love of snow

Given the way I've been cheering for today's unseasonal snowfall, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be smacked in the back with a few snowballs tomorrow.  Many people I know are eager for warm weather activities (I'm married to an umpire) and the spring signs of new life.  I am looking forward to not having to scrape off my car and to not bundling up my littlest one whenever we go out, but I'm still ecstatic with snow.

Remember I used to weigh 289 pounds.  I spent many summer months agonizing over how to hide my body while not sweating and chafing.  June through September became months I dreaded.  Fifty pounds lighter, my body and mind are stronger, but I still realistically expect plenty of gawking and ridicule this summer.  Despite how far I've come, I still don't like to be made fun of.

When summer comes, I'll give it my best: bravely donning swimwear so I can take my kids to the outdoor pools daily; going for evening walks when the sun won't pound down on me, burning my radiation-damaged face; becoming better friends with my bike so as to benefit the environment, my backside, and my wallet.

But for today, the part of me that likes to hide under layers is rejoicing.  The part of me that loves icy air after a strenuous workout is filling its lungs.  The part of me that contemplates bird and animal in the snow is alive.  The part of me that thrives on the silence of snow is at peace.

~Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment