Wednesday, March 9, 2011

March 9: Ash Wednesday for Dieters

            With bellies full of yesterday's paczki, pancakes, and sausage, many Christians will begin Lent today by giving up chocolate, candy, and ice cream.  Ever since I began my fat war in 2007, I've had to think differently about Lent because crossing the wires between Weight Watchers and church seems silly and redundant: same actions, different sponsor.  So my recent resolutions for Lent have included praying more often, listening better, and being less critical.  These are worthy intentions, but they're so vague and un-measurable that just like their January 1 cousins, they were soon forgotten. 

            After spin class early this morning, I got in my car, turned on the radio, and ran through my usual pre-set stations, futilely searching for something to listen to.  Then I realized: here is something I can do to strengthen my spirit.  After my morning workouts, rather than listen to music I already know or news I don't want to hear, I'm going to spend those several minutes in my car listening for God. 

            It's exciting to dedicate a time for listening to God.  Several minutes doesn't look like much, but that's okay.  It's more than I'm doing now.  And who knows – maybe like my elliptical machine experience, I'll work my way towards longer and more productive prayer.  We never know where the next miracle will come from, but if we're open, we may find ourselves in the middle of it.

        ~Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment