Friday, June 17, 2011

June 17: recovery day

  When I stretched out to fall asleep last night, my abs were already protesting the day's workout!  That's not supposed to happen till the next day!  I'm sure there's a rule somewhere that says worn-out muscles don't hurt till the sun and moon have traded places twice.  Since I was already feeling it last night, I was pretty sure I'd be feeling it this morning.

 

  This morning I don't hurt as badly as I'd expected, though I'm sore in more places than I expected, particularly in my upper arms and abs.  I had the usual "I don't wanna,/Yes I do" wake-up conversation with myself (why do I bother?  I know I'll always get up) and biked to the Y.  On my way to the Y there were good moments (saw rabbits!) and less pleasing moment (was left in the dust by a biker showing absolutely no apparent effort – what's that about?). 

 

  At the Y, I received another t-shirt I'd earned, and happily found that the smaller size I requested is the right size now!  And then…

 

  I enjoyed the water in the pool.  I felt it, listened to it, moved through it, and felt utterly relaxed and happy.  I wasn't pushing it today; today I simply swam.  Every now and then I worked on different strokes and kicks, analyzing them and seeing how they felt.  Today's swim was not about fast, but about taking some time to breathe in and out and torpedo and glide.

 

~Karin


 
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment