Saturday, June 4, 2011

June 4: Yeah!

  Amid a crowd of awed robins, screaming seagulls, a bird sporting a tuxedo collar, and one jogging squirrel, I completed a 5K this morning!  Woohoo!  I biked to the track, created a plan, and worked it.  I used a solid 50/50 combination of walking and jogging, and a ton of optimism, positive self-talk (both mentally and aloud), and good-humored distraction.  I'd like to say I used determination and perseverance, but I didn't need them today.  Today I was able to propel myself on sunshine and a lake breeze.

 

  I jogged way more than I ever have before, and with far less pain.  My knees and other joints didn't hurt.  Around the second mile, my chest and back tightened as my breathing became more labored, so I adjusted and kept going, and the tightness went away!  How about that!

 

  Lately I've been trying to think of a personal mascot.  Sea lion seemed the best, since I resemble one closely in shape and in how my body moves both on water and on land.  I also thought that kangaroos with their powerful legs and rather large backsides might be the way to go.  Although I made myself laugh aloud this morning when I tried picturing a turtle on a bicycle, I think a turtle might just be the one.  We both do well in the water, we move like trucks on land, and we've got some kind of wisdom deep within.  And I admit that I, too, probably look silly on a bike, from my lumpy bumpy back to the shell on my noggin.

 

  I'm delighted and relieved that I completed my 5K so easily this morning.  I worked hard, sweated hard, breathed hard, and still came away feeling strong and like I can tackle my day.  I've got a starting point; I know my muscles can easily move for that distance.  Now I've got to work on a.) going a little faster; b.) doing it somewhere other than a track; c.) doing it without music since the Pirate permits no earphones.  Oh, and doing it after a dip in the Lovely Lake and a 12-mile bike ride.  7 weeks to go!

 

~Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment