Monday, June 6, 2011

June 6: Weekend book ban

  This morning I've mandated a personal ban, or at least a weekend moratorium, on books about triathlons.  I'm eager and excited until I crack open books about them; then I come away with all manner of catastrophic triathlon images in my mind.  This is one of those cases where ignorance is bliss. 

 

  On the other hand, I'm perfectly welcome to talk with people who have participated before, and to read up on how to improve my skills.  Take swimming, for example.  Over the weekend I watched a couple on-line training videos and read about improving speed (I'm going for efficiency) in the water.  I absorbed the lessons and practiced this morning.  The result: I can now pretty comfortably breathe to my left or right in my stroke!    

 

  My plan is to continue with my training schedule (which is evolving), learn what I can to increase my endurance and efficiency, and make sure I've got my equipment in good order (thank you for installing my kick stand and new hand grips, O Wonderful One!).

 

  Here's a fantastic accomplishment:  Even as recently as last Friday, my neighborhood jogging goal was to reach the lamppost in front of #94.  Know what I did?  Immediately after this morning's bike/swim/bike combo, I jogged past it!  I jogged all the way to the end of my street, walked the end cap, and then jogged all the way home.  I'm planning to measure the distance around the block so I can calculate how many laps it would take to cover a mile (or 3.1), though I'm likely to lose count well before I reach that many laps.

 

  So the lesson here is the same as I've found it to be in Lighten Up, Weight Watchers, and life in general: focus on me and what I need to do, and keep it positive. Put my oxygen mask on first.  Believe it, be it.  Just do it.  It's meant to be, and it's up to me.

 

~Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment