Friday, July 15, 2011

July 15: A screw loose

Here's what I wrote before this morning's bike ride:

  Since it seems life's not bending over backwards to get easier, it's up to me now to change my attitude of waiting to be rescued (a recurring theme in my life).  So, what are some positive things going on?

 

·         I've got one of the best families anyone could ever hope for;

·         I've got some pretty amazing friends, too;

·         I found and tried my first energy gel for breakfast just a few minutes ago – it tasted better than I'd feared; I tried it because…

·         My bike is all fixed, and I'm about to try a route I noticed the other day.

 

After my bike ride:

  Yippee!  That was the best bike ride ever!  I had a plan in my head that included a hill along a main street.  But then I thought, "I want to ride along the lake," so I deviated from my plan and rode some side streets to the lake shore.  I found myself in Wildwood Park, went up and down the rolling paths, then kept heading west along the beaches on a path I never knew existed.

 

  It was fun and I couldn't help but smile all along my bike.  I smiled because I was able to climb the gentle hills on my bike and because I cruised down the slopes to a facefull of life and energy and sunrise.  I smiled because I saw a baby bunny and successfully navigated a place over a beautiful bridge where some bricks are missing.  I smiled as I imagined biking there with my son or taking my whole family there for a beautiful afternoon.

 

  I'm so thankful I took my bike to be repaired yesterday.  A swift turn of the screwdriver and all my gears are fine again.  As a bonus, I had my rusted out brakes replaced.

 

  And now with my screw no longer loose, I can bike to my heart's content.  There's huge metaphors about taking care of my body as I take care of my bike.  But the day is calling, and I'm happy to face it.  At last.

 

~Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment