Friday, September 2, 2011

Karin's Escape: The Musical

  I was crying before I even got out of bed this morning.  I was thinking about things my surgeon said yesterday, procedures which took me by surprise.  I took those things and I ran with them, binding those bricks of words together with mortar of fear and imagination.  I was in a right state by the time I got down the stairs on a twisted ankle, on my way to cleaning up our elderly dog's latest accident.

  Food isn't going to make me feel better.  Exercise is a no-go today on this ankle.  And heaven knows I'm not going to pour out my tale of woe to all my friends (though clearly I'm willing to do so to the anonymous souls who stick it out till the end of this blog).

  I tried putting thoughts into words, but a couple little girls in my living room were happily singing away, depleting my angst note by note.  When I took 'em to school, I popped on one of my favorite cds; the artists on it are able to take my soul, drag it to depths and then launch it with hope and power from my chest and through the heavens.  The girls, unable to care less, resumed singing their happy, giggly songs.

  And I thought - that's right.  Music saves.  It's what gets me going.  It's how my husband and I found each other.  So, in anticipation of weeks of relative inactivity and spending too much time with myself and my thoughts, I'm compiling a list of songs which pull me out of myself and into the world in one way or another.

In no particular order, here's Part One....

Take Me As I Am - Sugarland

The Highwayman - Phil Ochs

Defying Gravity from Wicked

I Want To Live - John Denver

Impossible Dream from Man of la Mancha 

Back to Before from Ragtime, the Musical

No comments:

Post a Comment