Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Ack! Was that running I just did?

Dear Diary,

Ohmygodohmygodohmygod.  I was really, really scared on the treadmill today.  I started 5K training today, using the Couch To 5K program at www.coolrunning.com.  I've started it before, but usually freaked myself out by looking ahead to the weeks when I'd be jogging for more than 8 minutes straight.

So I told myself  "Don't think about those weeks, just start with Week One, Day One." I did read ahead though and figured out that the program - as far as I can tell - assumes a 10-minute mile.  My mile is usually anywhere from 12-18 minutes, so I knew 10 minutes would be something new for me.  But, hey!  The first week is jog 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds for 20 minutes.  Surely I can try.

I got through the first set fine.  During the second set I started getting scared.  By the third set, even though I was going along fine with nary a cramp in my side, I was absolutely terrified.  I wanted to sit down and cry, leave the gym, have someone hug me -- I was scared.

And I have no idea what I was afraid of.

I didn't hit the 6mph rate again till about 1 minute left, when I'd calmed myself down a bit. 

I still don't know exactly what scared me so much.  Some things I remember being afraid of:

my heart rate was 179
my arms were plumping like Ballpark Franks
the treadmill was whining, and the faster I went, the more siren-like the belt sounded

But why was I so worked up that even after I was in my car, heading to the grocery store, my teeth were nearly chattering from fear?

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

No comments:

Post a Comment