Monday, February 20, 2012

Of Laces & Leashes

Our dog doesn't have as many legs as your average dog, so it's extremely important that she maintain low body fat and strong muscles, which translates into a healthy diet and plenty of exercise.  Sound familiar?

In caring for my little tripod, I'm incidentally caring for myself.  I'm approaching exercise with a new perspective.  These days I'm not sentencing myself to day after tedious day at the gym, where I rely on a soundtrack to break up the boredom.  With my dog, I've traded in my playlist of drum machines, synthesizers, and someone else's lyrics for a chirping robin, a crying seagull, and my own thoughts.  And of course the jingle-jingle of tags, collar, and leash.

Heaven bless my husband for helping me give myself permission to not go to the gym every day.  The gym is there for when I need it, which isn't necessarily every day.  What matters to me is that I'm healthy, and for me health needs outdoor time. 

Luckily for me, my dog and I need the same things: exercise, good food, love, play time, and discipline.

I'm looking forward to many more mornings of lacing up my shoes despite my dog's eager assistance, and to exploring Life together, joined to each other not just by our leash, but by so much more.


No comments:

Post a Comment