Monday, July 30, 2012

Thoughts from the Track

1.  Is a nice cool breeze at the track really too much to provide?  God?  Mother Nature?  Santa Claus?  Anyone?  Now that I'm moving faster longer, I find myself radiating heat and positively glistening (but still not dripping with) sweat, and I can't help but think that running would be easier if I were a little cooler, a little more comfortable.  Which brings me to number two.

2.  I need to change some of my running music.  Too much of it is good spiritually, but it's so soothing that it leads me to envision dropping to the ground and relaxing, watching seagulls and bumblebees.  What do you listen to in order to keep your spirit soaring, your chin up, and your legs pumping?

3.  My fat is tenacious.  I'm engaged in a battle of wills with a monster of my own creation.  When I signed up for Lighten Up and for the triathlon last year, as well as for the 5k training program this year, I naively assumed that my fat would flee in fear.  Upon hearing that my muscles were throwing a coup, my fat would quiver and wobble away.  No such luck.  For something so soft, fat sure has a good grip.  I'm just going to have to keep empowering my muscles.  Which brings me to number four.

4.  Puffing away on the track, trying to put a little spring in my step and good posture in my form, it occurred to me that jogging still ain't easy.  I wondered if it would ever get any easier.  And then I realized that I'm jogging more frequently and for minutes at a time.  I remembered that when I start this training, I was jogging for 60 or 90 seconds at a time.  Now I'm jogging 8 minutes at a time, in between biking to and from the track.  I've come a long way (not as long as I'd like) and made a lot of improvement (not as much as I'd like).  And then there's number five.

5.  Just as I'm cheesed with the Powers That Be for withholding cool breezes for jogging, I'm cheesed with myself for obliterating my hard work by not recording my calories consumed for the past couple weeks.  Sure I'd only be losing a pound a week, but those would be fewer pounds to schlep around the track. 

I'm tired, I'm sweaty, and I'm roasting.  I'm also motivated to jog the 5k in November (plenty of cool breezes then, I'm thinking), to see a less roly poly shadow at the track, and to weigh less than my husband.  So this girl's gotta do what this girl's gotta do: keep improving.  Like the GnR song says: I used to do a little but a little wouldn't do it, so the little got more and more; I just keep tryin' to get a little better, a little better than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment