Monday, March 14, 2011

March 14: Next!

            Yesterday I finally earned my 50-pound loss award at Weight Watchers!  Actually, I think I've been earning it for quite a while now, but yesterday the WW scale agreed with me.  What an awesome feeling – I even got a high five at the scale.  I thought I'd have tears of joy streaming down my face.  I thought that after I showed my hard-won prize to my family, I'd sit around oohing and aahing over it. 

            Nope.  My brain looked at the number in my weight tracker, and immediately found a new number to want.  What is that about?  I'm supposed to want to rest on my laurels a while, maybe celebrate with a shamrock shake since they're in season.  J

            I'm delighted with my 50-pound award.  I've earned it through tremendously hard work and a persistance I never dreamed I possess.  I've earned it with the encouragement and support of my family and friends, and by the grace of God.

            But I've got more I have to lose.  Pound-wise, I'd like to lose four more pounds before Lighten Up's March weigh-in, and I'd like to earn the 75-pound  WW award by the July weigh-in.  I hate putting numbers out there, because then people will mistake them for my goals.  Those numbers aren't my goal, they're just arbitrary benchmarks. 

            I loved receiving my 50-pound charm yesterday, but more than that I loved the interactions I had with my family and friends.  They're what my real goal is about.  I want to be healthy for a long time so I can have many more days with my loved ones.

            To quote one of my favorites, John Denver

I want to live, I want to grow

I want to see, I want to know,

I want to share what I can give,

I want to be. 

I want to live.

 

~Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment