Tuesday, March 22, 2011

March 22: Countdown Interview

                After enjoying a bunch of Lighten Up blogs, I thought I'd hop on the Countdown To Weigh-in bandwagon.  Here's an interview by me, with me.  ~Karin

 

Q:           Are you looking forward to the March 26 weigh-in?

A:            Yes.

 

Q:           How do you think your number will be?

A:            I presume you mean the number on the scale.  It's not going to rocket me into first place – I have a snowball's chance of even placing in the top 3 in this contest – but it'll probably be a loss, so that's something.  I'd love to know how many inches I've lost in my waist, though!

 

Q:           Last month you fell apart physically and emotionally in anticipation of the contestants' weights being published in The News Herald.  Is that going to happen again this month?

A:            No, I think I'm better prepared.  Everyone I've heard from has been supportive of the efforts of all the contestants, especially me since they're my friends; they haven't been judgmental.  If I'm my harshest critic, I can handle it.  But I still have my prescription just in case.

 

Q:           How has March been different from February for you?

A:            For one thing, this is the first time I really put my head down and rammed through a plateau.  My badly-timed plateau last month did more than make me despair, it made me angry.  Other than that, I've simply done what I've been doing: hard physical and emotional work and healthy eating.

 

Q:           Have you received comments about your weight loss or Lighten Up?

A:            Honestly, since I live in Cuyahoga County, not many people I know read The News Herald (which is really too bad, since with the loss of The Sun Journal, my community is in dire need of local news) so I don't run the risk of strangers recognizing me.  I have received compliments about my changing shape, though.  The best was at the Euclid Y this morning.  Curtis, who keeps the Euclid Y shipshape, called me "Mrs. Consistency."  I'm proud that people know I'm persistent and consistent!

 

Q:           Do you have advice for people who want to lose weight?

A:            Yes!  Though we hear time & again that weight loss is about calories in/calories out, that's an oversimplification that will leave many people frustrated.  I needed to quit thinking about "losing weight" and focus on "becoming strong and healthy."  I needed to turn a negative (lose weight) into a positive (become strong).  Once I switched my mindframe, I was able to look for tools that would fit my goals.  I've read books, talked to friends – and strangers!, journaled my thoughts, tracked my food, asked for help.  I guess my advice is to reflect on what you want to achieve and why, then talk with people who can help you find your way.  And never take yourself too seriously, but don't sell yourself short.

No comments:

Post a Comment