Thursday, April 21, 2011

April 21: A Doggy Dog World

A couple new classmates joined the latest session of WOW (Women On Weights), and one of them has let it be known that she's having me set the bar.  She lifts immediately after I do, sees how much I lift, and challenges herself to lift just a bit less.  I've been unnerved by that, not because I feel like I have to be the best in the class, but because I feel like someone's gunning for me.  I've kept quiet about it, just trying to ignore it and focus on my doing my own thing.

Today she and another classmate good-naturedly commented loudly enough I definitely couldn't miss it that I set the bar for them, and that they'd try to do what I do.  I sighed to myself and decided, "Alright.  If I'm setting the bar and they're after me, I'm setting it real high."  I invited them to set my goal, which they did – a lofty goal, indeed. 

And I raised their challenge. 

And then I made good on it, putting everything I had into it. 

As David counted it out and I got within spitting distance of the end, I could hear him pulling for me with every number.  I dug in and held on and worked and fought and breathed and lifted, and worked some more.  And I did.  I did it, I killed it, I rocked it.  And when it was time for the young pups to have their turn, they couldn't do half of what I'd done, and I helped them up afterwards.

You may not be able to teach old dogs new tricks, but this dog is going to work like mad to remain the leader of the pack.

~Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment