Friday, April 8, 2011

April 8: Application unsent

When I hugged my Youngest One this morning, I breathed a prayer of thanks that I never mailed my application to be a contestant on The Biggest Loser.  I filled it out more than a year ago and even filmed the required video to accompany the paperwork.  The appliaction helped me take a good long look at myself.  There were questions about my passions and accomplishments, how others would describe my good & bad qualities, how my weight impacted my life, what would be the best thing about being at a healthy weight, and more.  I completed the application several times, giving thought to my answers and being open with myself and about myself.

But little snafus kept preventing me from submitting my application.  Looking back now, though I'd still be excited by the whole Biggest Loser experience, I can't stomach the thought of being away from my family for so long.  Some of those contestants are away from home and loved ones for months on end.  Life at home could certainly go on without me, but I wouldn't want that to happen.

The reason I want so much to lose weight is the very reason I couldn't send in that application: I want to be healthy with my family.  Therefore I'm extremely grateful for Lighten Up.  I'm having some of the contest experience, but doing so in harmony with my life.  I don't have elite trainers and 24-hour access to a gym, but I do have the Euclid YMCA, Euclid Creek, the Metroparks, and my neighborhood sidewalks.  I don't have a medical staff monitoring my every move, but I do have a library and computer chockful of information I can learn.  Bonus: I have supportive friends and role models, and I get to transform my self alongside my loved ones.

I am capable of achieving a healthy weight and am fortunate enough to have such a supportive group of people in my life that I don't need to be removed from them in order to achieve that weight.  How grateful I am.

~Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment