Wednesday, May 18, 2011

May 18 Learning from the students

I never know where the next burst of inspiration will come from.  Last night, for example, I thought I was just in for another busy night: our son's school band concert, and afterwards maybe catching part of The Biggest Loser.  This morning, I figured I was just hauling myself to the Y as usual.

As it turns out, the Euclid Schools' All-City Band Concert last night was very inspirational.  In one of the high school's gyms, all the band students from grades 5 through 12 were gathered to perform for the audience who filled the bleachers.  What I found so inspiring at the concert were

·         the  progress made by the students between their winter concerts and this spring concert: The improvement was incredible!  These students were living proof of what persistence can accomplish, particularly under the guidance of good role models and leaders.

·         the difference in ability across the grades:  As you might expect, the higher the grade level, the better the sound.  The 5th graders did a good job with their music: students from all the Euclid elementary schools performing together for the first time.  The students from the two Euclid middle schools, who'd worked together before, showed a higher level of ability and training.  And Euclid High School students' performance was so well done that it gave me goosebumps.  The lesson here: As we go through a journey, we acquire new skills and are able to attempt what before would have been unthinkable.

By the time I settled down to catch the second half of The Biggest Loser, I knew I'd already missed what I usually find to be extremely motivational: the challenge where the contests don gear equivalent to the weight they've lost.  Usually a race of some sort, the contestants pass checkpoints which match weekly weigh-ins, at which they drop off the number of pounds which corresponds to the amount of weight lost that week.  You'd just have to see it.  Anyway, I missed that part.  What I did get to see surprised me: people talking about finishing strong.

I never really think about finishing strong.

I never really think about finishing – I think of how to get things started and how to make things work, but I rarely think about the end.

Now I'm thinking about the end.  I know that my weight goal is a long way off, but it's a different kind of motivation.  I remember hearing my wonderful husband talk about how sometimes you can't aim for an end point, you have to aim to go through it.  For example, in football, you don't think about running into someone, you think about running through someone. 

All these new perspectives were occupying my thoughts during my cardio work this morning. 

Also this morning, I think I found a temporary distraction for my food bordeom problem.  I've gotten bored with Weight Watchers, even considering quitting or at the very least taking a sabbatical.  But in the midst of all my thoughts this morning, I remembered that WW offers two food options, and I decided to give the other option a shot for a week.  I'm already excited by the notion of a little change.  Boredom is a big enemy of mine.

So even though it's Wednesday (and the weigh-in is Saturday! gack!), I'm starting a new week today.  I've got the fine example of perseverance given to me by Euclid's strong & talented band students, the change in view about reaching goals, and a new eating plan. 

I'm excited!

~Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment