Friday, May 27, 2011

May 27: a good, good swim

  What a great swim this morning!  First of all, I was wearing my brand new swimsuit, a smaller size than my previous one.  I suspected when I first put it on that it might be too big, and as I was swimming I found that indeed it was too big!  Hooray!  I get to exchange it for a smaller size!  And I love the suit too, the style and the color – I can hardly wait to have it in my smaller size.

 

  The swim was also excellent because I had the sense of finishing: today was the last leg of the swimming portion of my triathlon.  With the end in sight, I swam hard and fast.  It was awesome and so different from Wednesday's swim.  Wednesday's swim was a super challenge: I started late; my muscles were exhausted from Tuesday's weightlifting; the doctor-prescribed ear plug didn't work at all; you get the idea.  Today I started on time; my muscles were fine (I reminded my trainer yesterday that I'd be swimming today, so he worked me out differently yesterday: more ab/core work than arm/leg work); I wore my drug store ear plug that works perfectly; and I felt strong and upbeat during the entire swim.

 

  It felt good to swim with a finish line in sight.  Once again, thanks to the philosophy of this year's Biggest Loser contestants, I remember that I'm working towards a finish line in my weight loss, and today as I swam toward the completion of my swimming, I felt that I was making progress and completing something. 

 

  So today's swim was very symbolic for me.  Propelling myself through the water was a metaphor for propelling myself towards my weight loss and health goals.  The swim has been long and challenging, and I've used different strokes and motivations to get there; the same can be said of my journey to health.  It's long and challenging, but I've got it in me to get me there.

 

~Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment