Thursday, June 9, 2011

June 9: Inspiration

  I'm really proud of navigating a recent off-kilter stretch.  Yesterday morning I got to the gym to realize that in my helter-skelterness I'd put my shirt on inside-out and was wearing two different kinds of sock.  My knee hurt when I jogged and was a little wobbly the rest of the day, and overall yesterday was just one of those days.

 

  Yesterday afternoon a friend invited me for an early morning bike ride today; naturally I said yes.  I laughed when I said to my husband that I felt like a dog going for a walk – not sure where I'd be going, but happy that someone would take me.  By bedtime though I was overtired and rethinking the bike ride idea.

 

  I slept badly all night, and when it was finally time to get out of bed, I was tired.  Blessedly, it turns out that due to a thunderstorm, my friend and I had to reschedule.  So I took a look at my weary face in the mirror and went back to bed.

 

  Today, being Thursday, is weightlifting day.  I assure you that I wanted no part of it.  I'm tired, exhausted, overwhelmed, and in dire need of stress relief, good luck, and a break.  But I evaluated how my body felt, and it felt traitorously up to the task of a workout, so I had no real excuse to skip out.

 

  I warmed up with a half hour bike ride, then met up with my trainer.  It's a darn good thing I didn't know what I was in for, or I'd never have gone to the gym today!  He wiped the floor with me!  At one point during endless shoulder work, I was listening to the sound of angels calling to me from the pearly gates. I asked David, "Am I ever going to get any stronger?"  He replied that we were working on muscular endurance.  Oh.  Well then.  Carry on with torturing me.

 

  I'd told David that I was training for the Pirate Triathlon, told him about the lake swim and all the rest.  Now he's making sure that my muscles are up to the challenge of endurance.  While part of me thinks it was really stupid to give David a reason to work me even harder than he has up to this point, the more mature and athletic part of me is grateful for his knowledge and encouragement.

 

  Bob Harper from The Biggest Loser worked with me today, too.  During wall sits, at which I'm becoming a pro, I wasn't thinking about my legs muscles, but about Bob telling me to focus on my breathing.  I took deep breaths in, and exhaled slowly.  Before I knew it, three sets of I-have-no-idea-how-long were done.

 

  When I got home I found my clothes and knee brace soaked through with sweat.  Only now that I've fed my muscles some milk and peanut butter am I starting to rejuvenate.  It's a good thing too, because school's out.

 

  Today was another lesson in "just do it" – just go to the gym if my body feels uninjured and capable.  And it was another lesson in "you really are strong, you really can endure."

 

  Now to reschedule our bike ride!

  

~Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment