Friday, July 1, 2011

July 1: Hooray!

  Yesterday I did not track what I ate, but I can tell you that I ate ice cream, licorice, sesame sticks, watermelon, and a cheeseburger among other things.  Yesterday was a day to be celebrated!  My sister and I took my kids to Waldameer, an amusement park in northwestern Pennsylvania.  I knew that the kids would have a great time – they love the rides!  The question in my mind was: Would I?

 

  Growing up, I loved rides, too.  As an overgrown-up though, I taught myself that I was too fat for rides: I'd picture the safety harnesses not closing on me or me plugging up the water slide tubes like something out of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  So, just like when I was a child afraid of imperfectly jumping rope so I'd volunteer to be a permanent rope turner instead, at amusement parks I became the permanent baby-sitter.  Yesterday though, I gave it a whirl (literally). 

 

  My first adventure was in Water World.  I took my youngest on my lap, and we rode down the wee little baby water slides together.  She loved it and I loved it, and I silenced any thoughts about people judging my infinitely imperfect body.  It just didn't matter; and, frankly, I didn't see anyone paying attention to me anyway.  They've got better things to do with their vacation time than thinking about meHurrah!  Strangers can be wonderful!

 

  My first real challenge of belief in myself came in the form of an inner tube built for two.  My son wanted to ride, but none of the others in our party were up to it.  Well I was, but I was afraid I was too heavy and fat.  There were signs that said the ride wasn't for overweight and out of shape people.  Well, sure I'm overweight.  But overweight and out of shape?  No sir, not me!  I'm in fine shape, thank you!  This pear can move!  Still, I asked a life guard whether I could ride with my son, and she said "Yes!"  Really?  I asked another guard and got the same answer!  That was that – we grabbed our tube and climbed the stairs (no problem!) and rode down and capsized and laughed with delight and did it again.  J 

 

  When we changed into dry clothes and headed for the land rides, I did wonder a little whether I'm too fat for the safety harnesses. Walking around the rides, I tried to look for people at least my size on the rides.  If they could fit, so could I.  To make a long story short, my body fit just fine.  It fit in the Mega Vortex (shriek!), the Wipeout (woo-hoo!), and everything else I wanted to put it in.  It had a healthy lunch of pb&J and watermelon; and it had a treat of a dinner: cheeseburger (which I split with my youngest), a bucket of fries (which 5 of us shared – and still had to throw some away), water (why drink pop?), and ice cream (yeah, baby!; which I shared with my youngest).

 

  So hooray! for rides and slides; hooray! for my family (both who went with us and who sponsored the trip); hooray! for ice cream and for sharing; hooray! for Laura Kessel and The News Herald for this contest which has kept me focused and motivated; and hooray! for cardio and strength training!  I can hardly wait to hit another amusement park!


~Karin 

No comments:

Post a Comment