Sunday, July 24, 2011

July 24: After Words

  Have I ever completed a triathlon?  Yes I have, thanks for asking.  As a matter of fact, I finished one just today! 

 

  What's that?  Did I get tangled in the buoy rope when I started my swim?  Well, yes, but I did untangle myself pretty quickly.  Wouldn't you agree?

 

  The 500 meter swim?  Oh, much better than my prior lake swim.  Swimming in a crowd takes some getting used to, but I was able to see the buoys and I think I didn't ingest too much water this time, so it's a success!

 

  The 20K bike ride?  What was THAT about?  It took twice as long as I expected.  There's me pedaling along, and there's everyone else pedaling half as quickly and passing me like Bugs Bunny on fast forward!  Clearly I've got some bike work to do.

 

  The 5K run?  No, dearie, it was a walk for me, remember?  And though I was ready to quit in a crying heap just mere moments after beginning this third leg of the race, my husband's encouraging "just three right turns and you're done" got me through all 5 of those Ks.

 

  And even before I left Fairport Harbor, I was already thinking, "Wow, if I lose a bunch more weight, I might be able to shave minutes off my time."

 

  THANK YOU to the organizers and volunteers of the Lake Metroparks Pirate Triathlon.  Thank you, my family; thank you, my friends.  Though I still have a hard time seeing what I did as a noteworthy accomplishment, it is nonetheless an accomplishment, and one that happened because of you.

 

~Karin

1 comment:

  1. WOW Karin, I am in AWE that you did this. Congrats. How are you feeling today?

    ReplyDelete