Monday, December 19, 2011

Judge Not

Something else went click today.  "Judge not, lest you be judged" has long been a familiar warning to me.  And while it's familiar, I confess that it's not an instruction I consistently follow.  There are times when I become so judgmental of myself and others -- so sarcastic and snarky -- that I can fully understand not wanting to be around me.

Last week I was jogging along happily on the treadmill at the gym.  My heart rate was in the high 160s and I was working hard.  And then I caught my reflection and saw what (I presumed) others must see: a fat woman waddling along.  And I didn't think I was doing so well after all, and I enjoyed my workout less.  I didn't even celebrate it when I got home.

Judge not, lest you be judged.

So much of the harm I do to myself has come from judging and plugging my judgments into others -- I'm ugly / unlovable / inadequate.

With the help of my counselor, I'm learning to examine without judgment and criticism.

And here's what struck me today.  I've always thought that the "lest you be judged" part had to do with the "Do unto others" karma rule, an eye for an eye.  I judge them, they'll judge me.

But I was wrong.

"Lest you be judged" is not entirely about being judged by them but by me and then building on those negative thoughts.


So if I ever get around to writing my Ten Commandments, one of them will certainly be: Though shalt not pass judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment