Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Untitled but worthy nonetheless

Once upon a time I was joyful, athletic, and free.


And then one day when I was running barefoot on the sidewalk, I skinned my big toe.


And then one day when I was playing on the merry-go-round, its rotted wood slashed my leg.


And then one day when I was riding my bike I hit a bump and flew face first over the handle bars.


And then one day when I was playing softball I caught one in the face and broke my jaw.


And little by little I learned that playing hurts.


But my soul isn't really that of a spectator.  I like running.  I like biking.  I like playing softball.


Life will hurt sometimes, but do I really want to let fear of physical hurt be my prison?




Once upon a time I was trusting and relaxed.


And then one day someone broke that trust profoundly.


And then day after day, school after school I was emotionally battered.


And then I believed the lesson "Don't get your hopes up."


Do I want to let fear of emotional hurt be my prison?






Do I want my life to be a shrinking cell of false safety?


No. 




And so I risk again and learn again.  I rebuild my self.


And I feel the spark of Hope.


And I understand that with Hope there is always Joy.


And I fight the urge to fear Joy.


And I discard those lessons which have failed me and I turn to those that speak to me.


And I approach the world again.

No comments:

Post a Comment